Monday, January 31, 2011

Bottled Sausage and Other Ground Meats

So, this is my first time bottling sausage.  I'm anxious to actually open a bottle and taste it.  Someone once told me that it was important to precook ground meats like burger and sausage before bottling it, in order to preserve the flavor.  They said that if you don't precook the ground meats, they end up tasting like dog food.  Who wants to eat dog food?  Not me...so I took their word for it, and chose to precook my sausage meat.

I had 16 lbs of sausage, but only cooked up 13 lbs of it.  That was by far the most labor intensive part.  I loaded the pint jars, and put them in the pressure cooker...that was the easiest part.  Then I just had to wait for the jars to pressurize and steam for 75 minutes.  And here is a picture of my labors.

No comments:

Post a Comment